Hong Kong Employees Visa

Hong Kong Employees Visa

Hong Kong has a special work permit scheme for hiring skilled foreign employees, Employment for Professionals.

Eligible applicants must have good educational qualifications and possess special skills, knowledge or experience of value, that are not readily available in Hong Kong. There is no quota system limiting the number of work visas under this scheme. Each application is assessed based on the qualifications of the applicant and the employing company.

This type of work permit is normally issued for one year period initially and renewable thereafter.

Eligibility Criteria
An applicant under this scheme must have no criminal record and meet the security requirements of Hong Kong. He must also provide evidence of a good educational background ie a degree in the relevant field, good technical qualifications, relevant professional abilities, achievements and experience.

It is a requirement of the scheme that there is a genuine employment vacancy at the employing company which cannot be filled from the local workforce. The applicant must have a confirmed employment offer and the job matches the applicant’s academic qualifications or working experience. 

The applicant’s remuneration package, including income, accommodation, medical and other fringe benefits is in line with the prevailing market standards in Hong Kong.

If the employing company is a new company, set up within the last 12 months a detailed business plan must also be provided.

The processing takes about 4-6 weeks. Most work permit visas under the Employment for Professional’s Scheme are issued for a one-year period.

Dependant Visa for Family
Applicants under this scheme are eligible to bring their family members (spouse and unmarried dependent children under 18 years of age) with them to Hong Kong. The dependant’s length of stay is tied to the applicant’s stay in Hong Kong. Dependant visa holders are free to take up employment or study in Hong Kong.
Since September 2018 a same-sex civil partnership, same-sex civil union, same-sex marriage, or opposite-sex civil partnership or opposite-sex civil union outside  Hong Kong is recognized for granting dependant visas

Change of Employment
The work permit that is issued is tied to a specific employer and is not transferable. In order to change jobs, the applicant must obtain first approval by filing “Application for Change of Employment” with the Immigration Department.

Permanent Residence
An individual, who has been granted an Employment for Professionals visa and has resided in Hong Kong for a continuous period of at least 7 years, can apply for Permanent Residence, commonly referred to as “Right of Abode” in Hong Kong.

Should You Hire A Professional Advisor?
It is advisable to hire the services of professionals such as Rosemont (Hong Kong) Ltd to handle the application on your behalf.

Rosemont (Hong Kong) Ltd:

• Is familiar with the procedure involved to make the application, preparing and assembling the supporting documents.
• Has the professional experience and knowledge to provide with the right guidance and timely advice.
• Has the expertise to assist with the drafting of a sound business plan in line with the requirements and expectations of the Hong Kong authorities.
• We will undertake to submit application and deal with the authorities as and when required.
• We provide an efficient and cost effective service.